Tuesday 25 November 2008

New Arsenal Captain Fabregas: "I'm Not Looking To Play Anywhere Else"

New Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has insisted that taking the armband at the Gunners proves his long-term commitment to the North London club.

EURO 2008 winner Fabregas has been constantly linked with a return to La Liga from the Emirates Stadium, with former club Barcelona and Real Madrid both keen to lure the Spanish International away from the Premier League.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger named 21-year-old Fabregas as the successor to William Gallas to skipper the Gunners. After the Frenchman was stripped of the captaincy by Wenger for comments made to the press last week.

Now that he has been made captain Spanish International Fabregas is hoping that it will prove his commitment to Arsenal, with the midfielder insisting once again that his future lies with the Premiership club.

“By becoming captain it shows how much I’m committed to the club,” Fabregas said in the Sun.

“I actually feel I’ve shown commitment since I arrived here. Each year people talk about me leaving yet I’m still here and I want to be part of the future of Arsenal.

“I love the club and I’m totally committed to it. I’m not looking to play anywhere else.

“Of course, the future for Arsenal is bright. The players are very much looking forward to the next few years.”

Wenger revealed that he never doubted Fabregas’ commitment and that the decision to hand the Spaniard the armband was a pretty straightforward one.

“I have never doubted Cesc’s commitment and that was one of the reasons for making him captain,” Wenger said.

“It’s important you are the voice of the club to the outside and your commitment is not questioned.

“Cesc has the leadership qualities, the experience and the confidence of the other players.”

No comments:

Post a Comment