Sunday 2 November 2008

Real Madrid Target Agger Happy At Liverpool Chance

Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has revealed his relief at being given a run in the Reds team due to the injury to Martin Skrtel, with the Danish International, who is reportedly a target for La Liga Champions Real Madrid, accepting that a starting place is not guaranteed for anyone at Anfield.

Reports earlier in the season had claimed that Agger was keen on a move away from the Premier League, after having limited first-team opportunities, with Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez preferring to partner Skrtel with former England International Jamie Carragher at the heart of the Reds defence.

However, due to the knee injury that Skrtel suffered against Manchester City on October 8th, which will keep the Slovakian International out until Christmas, Agger has been given a run in the Liverpool side and is glad to be back.

“It’s never easy to get into the team when you have a squad like we have at Liverpool,” said Agger.

“Things have been very hard for me after the best part of a year out and then missing out at the start of the season. I’m glad to put the last 12 months behind me.

“But being left out of the team after a long time out is just part of football. Now I want to show the fans what I can do again.

“It feels good to get back out there and I feel I’ve had some good games against Crewe in the Carling Cup and Wigan in the league.

“I found it hard coming back into the team for the Wigan match. I was very tired early in the second half and could really feel that I hadn’t for a long time.

“There’s being fit and then there is match fitness - there is a big difference between the two and you can only obtain match fitness by playing in many games.

“Although I want to impress everyone again, I know I have to just play my own game. If the way you play is good enough then you will be in the team and hopefully I can get a good run now.

“It feels good to be back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment