Tottenham Hotspur striker Darren Bent has played down a recall to Fabio Capello’s England team, with the forward insisting that if he continues to play well for Spurs then the chance to add to his three England caps will follow.
24-year-old Bent has been in fine goal-scoring form for Tottenham this season, with the former Charlton Athletic forward already finding the net 11 times so far this campaign in all competitions.
Bent’s haul of 11 goals includes his first hat-trick for Tottenham in the UEFA Cup against Dinamo Zagreb last Thursday, which the £16.5million signing from the Addicks followed up with a brace against Manchester City at the Eastlands Stadium on Sunday in the Premier League.
However, after a tricky start to his career at the North London club, Bent is keeping his feet firmly on the ground throughout this rich vein of form, with the striker, who finally seems to have rediscovered the touch that prompted Spurs to pay so much to bring him to White Hart Lane aware that you cannot please everyone all the time.
“I am doing as well as I can do and your not always going to be able to please everyone,” Bent told Sky Sports News.
“There are always going to be people who have their doubts and critics, as long as I know I can do what I can do and giving 110 per cent every game then that is all anyone can ask of me.
“I always said in my career that if I get an England call-up, it would be a bonus to me - I am not just going to set my sights on just England, because it doesn't work like that - the only way I will play for England is playing well for Tottenham, as long as I keep playing well for Tottenham then England will come.”