Sunday 21 December 2008

'The Octopus' Wants To Stay At Spurs A Long Time

*

Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes has claimed that he is not ready to quit Spurs in the transfer window next month, despite recent reports linking the Brazilian International with a move back to former club PSV Eindhoven in January.

27-year-old Gomes, who only arrived at White Hart Lane in the summer for £7.8million from Eredivisie Champions PSV, has had his future at the Premier League club called into question after a string of high-profile errors upon his arrival in the Premiership.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has been linked with a number of keepers in January, with Robert Green at West Ham United and Welsh International Wayne Hennessey at Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers just two of the keepers reportedly on the former Portsmouth bosses radar.

Gomes however, has kept clean sheets in his last 2 Premier League matches against West Ham and Manchester United, with the Brazilian pulling off vital saves in the dying minutes of both games to earn Spurs a win against the Hammers and a point against United.

Now Gomes has revealed that he is committed to Tottenham and intends to be at White Hart Lane for a long time, with the Brazilian known as ‘The Octopus’ also claiming he will get even better once fully fit.

“In my head I still think big and think I will play for Tottenham a long time,” said Gomes.

“I came here to play but it was very difficult for me because everyone said I’m a bad goalkeeper, not the goalkeeper to play for Tottenham.

“I still think about this and it was a difficult moment. I’ve come back step-by-step.

“I know I am a very good goalkeeper at the top level.

“It’s difficult for the opposition to score goals against me. I am confident now and I know I am better. But I’m not 100 per cent fit yet and the next games will get even better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment