Sunday 4 January 2009

Defoe Wants Redknapp Reunion

*

Portsmouth striker Jermain Defoe has revealed that he wishes to leave Fratton Park in order to join Tottenham Hotspur so that the England International can work with Harry Redknapp again, who left Pompey for Spurs in October.

New Portsmouth manager Tony Adams admitted that he didn’t know if Defoe would play for Portsmouth again on Friday, with Aston Villa and Juventus said to be interested in the striker along with Tottenham.

While Redknapp has made no secret of his desire to lure Defoe back to the club he left 12 months ago. Defoe has now hinted that White Hart Lane is the only destination of interest and only left the North London club to work under Redknapp, who he has also worked under at West Ham United.

Pompey value Defoe in excess of £20million, despite paying Tottenham only £9million for the forward a year ago. Spurs are understood to have made an offer of £16million, with Defoe eager for the two Premier League sides to reach an agreement. So that he can rejoin the club he spent four-years at between 2004-2008 before his move to Portsmouth.

“If Portsmouth can agree an acceptable deal with Tottenham I would like the opportunity to talk to them,” Defoe told the Sunday Mirror.

“I've enjoyed my time immensely here, but I can't deny that Harry Redknapp's departure as manager hit me hard particularly because he was the reason why I joined Portsmouth in the first place.

“I have a great deal of respect for Tony Adams and what he's trying to achieve. We have a very good working relationship.

“But I left Tottenham to join Portsmouth with the intention of working with Harry for a considerable time to come. I could have gone to other clubs when I left Tottenham, but I wanted to work with Harry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment