Tuesday 23 September 2008

Arsenal Boss Wenger Guns For Platini: 'I Am For Sporting Justice And UEFA Must Be The Guarantor Of It'

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed that he is shocked by UEFA president Michel Platini’s attack on him in an interview with a French paper.

Former France and Juventus player Platini claimed that Wenger had a mentality for business rather than football, with him also making the shock revelation that he would be happy if Wenger never saw the introduction of video replays in the interview with Dauphine Libere.

Gunners boss Wenger has been taken aback by what appears to be a personal attack by the head of footballs governing body in Europe, with Wenger insisting he is for sporting justice and that UEFA must be the guarantor of this.

“I am stunned by the aggressive content of Platini's words,” Wenger told L'Equipe.

“I am effectively a supporter of video assistance for referees, like all coaches, and I believe Uefa have an important role to play in this.

“I am for sporting justice and Uefa must be the guarantor of it.

“I am a supporter of good management of clubs, for financial equilibrium.

“And Uefa must equally support this idea. I am fighting for the future of the game and of football.

“I don't see why Uefa should take umbrage at ideas that are different from their own.”

During Dauphine Libere’s interview with Platini, Emirates boss Wenger’s name was mentioned in relation to the introduction of video technology, with Wenger being a keen advocate for the introduction of video replays.

Platini replied: “I like to talk about football, him (Wenger) about business. We must stop with Wenger and all that.

“It would make me happy that Arsene Wenger never sees it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment