Thursday 4 September 2008

Robinho: Pele 'Would Have Done The Same'

New Manchester City signing Brazilian International Robinho has defended his decision to make a shock deadline day transfer from La Liga Champions Real Madrid.

Robinho has responded to criticism from Brazilian legend Pele, who reportedly said the City player “was badly advised” and “needs some serious counselling”. Robinho has also been criticised by Vanderlei Luxemburgo, his former coach at Santos, which is where Pele made his name.

“If you want to become the best, you need a team with possibilities to shine and I think City will achieve that,” Robinho said.

The Brazilian playmaker had been set to for a move to Chelsea, but it was City that matched Real Madrid’s valuation on deadline day, with Robinho desperate to leave the Bernabeu, claiming he no longer felt wanted.

Reportedly Los Merengues had not only prevented Robinho from going to the 2008 Beijing Olympics, but also angered the player by trying to use him as a makeweight in an attempt to lure Cristiano Ronaldo away from Old Trafford.

“I accept Pele's criticism as he is the king of football, but if he had been me, he would have done the same,” he added.

“Real did not want to retain me. They even used me as a potential exchange to sign Cristiano Ronaldo. But as that negotiation fell through, they wanted to retain me then.

‘If they didn't want to count on me, I didn't want to stay there either, so that is what I told the president.’

The Brazilian also revealed that his desire to join Chelsea was because they were the only club to have made a formal offer, but then claimed that the La Liga side were put out when Chelsea jumped the gun by selling shirts with his name on.

“My first goal was to go to Chelsea as it was the only club to have made a formal offer.

“But Real did not like Chelsea shirts with my name on being sold before sorting out the negotiations.

“Also, they did not reach the value Real demanded so then Manchester City came in at the last minute to sign me.

“I cried when he (Real president Roman Calderon) didn't let me play at the Olympics and you can check that by asking him," Robinho added.

No comments:

Post a Comment