Wednesday 10 September 2008

Zola Promises West Ham 'Attacking Football'

Former Chelsea player Gianfranco Zola has revealed that he intends to deliver ‘attacking football’ at Upton Park, if as expected he succeeds Alan Curbishley as manager at the East London club.

Zola is widely tipped to be the new Hammers boss after former Italy coach Roberto Donadoni pulled out of the running yesterday. Leaving the way clear for Zola, who impressed when in talks with West Ham over the weekend.

West Ham fans criticised the brand of football played under Curbishley,but the Italy Under-21 assistant coach has promised that West Ham will play to ‘excite people’, revealing that it is the only way he knows.

Zola told the Daily Mail: “I only know one way to play: on the floor, attacking football, the way things should be done. I want to excite people, that is why we play isn't it?

“The [Italian] Under-21s play the way football should be played. I try to put a smile on their faces and I can tell you they put a smile on mine with the way they play.”

Zola also confirmed that the final details of his deal at Upton Park were yet to be completed, but was upbeat that those details will be resolved soon.

On the subject of his playing past for Chelsea, where he was a hero during his seven years in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge, Zola insisted that his playing career was his past and now he has a new one.

“This is a new adventure for me. I spent seven years at Chelsea and they were seven of the best years of my career, I loved playing there but the fans must understand that I have a new career now and my playing career is in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment