Thursday 23 October 2008

Everton's Arteta: "Playing For England Hasn't Even Crossed My Mind"

Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta has insisted that he has no plans to play for England and will fight to earn a call-up to the full Spain squad, despite Toffees fans starting a campaign to get the Goodison Park favourite into the thoughts of England boss Fabio Capello.

The former Glasgow Rangers player will be eligible to apply for a British passport soon, having joined the Merseyside club in 2005 from Spanish side Real Sociedad under the five-year residency act, but unlike Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia, who has stated a desire to possibly play for England in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the 26-year-old insists that his only desire is to play for the EURO 2008 Winners.

Arteta said: “At the moment the idea of playing for England hasn't even crossed my mind.

“I have the desire to play with Spain senior side.

“The truth is that it is an idea that has come about through the fans here. In England legislation states that if you play five years in the country you can play for the England team.

“I've been here for four and so there's this possibility.

"It's an idea similar to that which was talked about with Almunia.'

"I appreciate a lot the affection they are giving me and the campaign they are doing for me to play for England, but at the moment I am not planning anything.

“Since I have arrived in England the support of the fans has been constant and I value that a lot. I have played with all the categories of Spain and the hope to play with the full side is there.

“I know that it is very difficult because there are players with a lot of quality but I will fight to achieve it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment