Monday 27 October 2008

Spurs Boss Redknapp: "Chairman Will Do The Deals, But I'll Pick The Players"

New Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp has revealed that he only left Portsmouth to take the job at White Hart Lane after being promised by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy that it will be him picking potential transfer targets for the North London club.

Redknapp’s took over at Tottenham on Sunday after Juande Ramos had been sacked on Saturday night, with the Spaniard eventually paying the price for Spurs’ worst start to a season in their 126-year history, despite winning the Carling Cup last season.

Tottenham sporting director Damien Comoli was also shown the door at White Hart Lane, with Redknapp stipulating that the Frenchman must not be replaced at Spurs if he was to leave Fratton Park and take up the post at Tottenham, with the former West Ham United boss adamant that he must have control in identifying the right players for Tottenham.

“The chairman will do the deals but I'll pick the players,” Redknapp said.

“I wouldn't let anyone else buy my players.”

Redknapp was in the dugout on Sunday to see Tottenham record their first win in the Premiership against Bolton Wanderers, with Redknapp also revealing that he almost joined Tottenham in the past and that after turning down the Newcastle United job last year would have regretted it if he had turned down the opportunity to manage a big club again.

“I nearly came here, it was a long story but things happened,” Redknapp said.

“I nearly went to Newcastle and people said I didn't want to take on the challenge of a big club. I felt that once this happened (with Spurs again), I would have regretted it for the rest of my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment