Thursday 9 October 2008

Tottenham, Manchester City, Chelsea & Everton All On Alert As Lukas Podolski Drops Bayern January Exit Hint

German International Lukas Podolski looks set end his two year stay at the Allianz Arena with Bundesliga powerhouse Bayern Munich in January. With the striker still unable to nail down a place in coach Jurgen Klinsman’s first team, which will alert Premier League clubs, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Everton and Manchester City, who have all been linked with the Polish born forward.

23-year-old Podolski joined Bayern from FC Koln in 2006, but has grown restless with life in Munich after being asked to come of the bench more often than not for Bayern, despite being one of the first names on the team sheet for Germany.

Podolski has made public his frustrations before at his bit part at Bayern, with Bayern chairman German legend Franz Beckenbauer criticising the striker for his attitude.

Beckenbauer said: “I do not understand what he wants. I demand that he is committed to Bayern and does everything he can to help the club. He has a contract until June 2010 - he should focus on that.”

The response from Podolski was that he will remain focused on the Bayern cause, but the forward did reveal that in the winter he will make a decision. Fuelling speculation that Podolski is certain to leave the Allianz in January.

Podolski told German newspaper Bild, “I can only say that I am fully focused on Bayern. It is a difficult situation for me, but I am clear about that.

“Sure, I would like to play from the start sometimes. At the moment, I am not concerning myself with anything else.

“I don’t think I will make a decision until the winter.”

Podolski has put his goalscoring form for Germany down to coach Joachim Low giving him the playing time, which makes him feel part of the set up, with Podolski scoring 30 goals in 57 games for the national side. Podolski has scored twice for Bayern this season in 7 appearances, with only two of those as a starter, which adds credence to hi plea to be given a proper run in Klinsman’s side.

He said: “It does me good to free myself. When you play the full 90 minutes, you automatically play in a different way.

“Jogi Low (German Coach) is convinced of my qualities - just like me. We both know what I can do.”

Podolski has only made 23 starts in just over two seasons with Bayern, which would suggest that unless things change between now and January the striker could be set to join the Premiership, with no shortage of suitors willing to sign the young forward.

Spurs were linked with Podolski during the summer and have a shortage of strikers at White Hart Lane following the departure of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane. While Manchester City had an offer turned down in the summer and look set to renew their interest.

Chelsea are also short upfront, with main striker Didier Drogba struggling with injuries and manager Luiz Felipe Scolari reportedly not convinced about Nicolas Anelka, while Everton also need to add to the squad at Goodison following the sale of Andy Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment