Wednesday 19 November 2008

Liverpool's Benayoun Tells Benitez Use Me Or Lose Me

Israeli International Yossi Benayoun has declared that he is ready to quit Liverpool if Reds manager Rafa Benitez continues to overlook him and only use the midfielder as a bit-part player at the Merseyside club.

28-year-old Benayoun has grown frustrated at the lack of first-team opportunities under Benitez this season, with the former West Ham United player only featuring twice in the starting eleven in the past month for the Anfield side.

This has led to Benayoun making the sensational declaration that if Benitez continues to not use him then the former Valencia coach will lose Benayoun, with the Israeli hinting that he could leave Anfield as early as January if the situation does not improve.

Benayoun told Israeli TV: “If the situation remains the same over the next few months and I'm not getting more time in the middle, I will not want to continue as a Liverpool player.

“The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything.

“I hope it changes for me, because I want to stay and prove myself, but it won't be easy. I know I'm at one of the biggest clubs in the world and that there are many good players who sometimes aren't even in the squad.

“I always wanted to prove myself good enough for Liverpool and I thought I did well last season to contribute so many goals and assists.

“But there seems to be more competition for places this time and if I continue to be on the sidelines, I would not want to stay, even though it is Liverpool.”

Should the situation at Liverpool not improve then a January exit from Anfield to Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City, Portsmouth or former club West Ham, who were all linked with Benayoun in the summer could materialise. However, David Bentley’s arrival at Spurs and Brazilian International Robinho’s summer move to City would seem to rule out both clubs from launching a January bid for Benayoun. So a move to Fratton Park or back to the Hammers could be an option, with Serie A side AS Roma also said to be interested in the Israeli.

No comments:

Post a Comment