Thursday 11 December 2008

Is Hennessey On His Way To Spurs?

*

Last Monday and old friend of mine, who I have not seen for a while called me up and invited me for dinner on Tuesday. I was free so I went round and one of the first things I said to him, was that Spurs have been heavily linked with 21-year-old Wolves goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey as he is as passionate about the Midlands club as I am about Tottenham.

That’s why he had invited me you see, according to him Hennessey is coming to Spurs and a deal has been agreed for around £6million. Hennessey is fit, but has been on the bench of late, which has not made him a happy bunny, with Wolves manager Mick McCarthy preferring Carl Ikeme between the posts at the Molineux Stadium at the moment, although Hennessey did start against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday, but only because Ikeme is injured and the only other keeper at Wolves is Shane Higgs, who is on loan from Cheltenham Town.

Now my friend although he lives in London goes to every Wolves game and has very good connections at the club. So I reported it as an exclusive on Premiershiplatest.com the next day, who I write for fulltime. After having the time to mull it over and coming to the conclusion that it added up. It’s no secret that Harry is in the market for a new keeper at White Hart Lane come January, maybe even two, given his reluctance to give Cesar a chance. Whether one keeper or two arrives, there will be a new goalkeeper at Tottenham in January.

So as the story grew on Wednesday I waited for a denial or confirmation to come from Wolves claiming that the Welsh International would not be joining Spurs or that he was on his way to Tottenham, but nothing. Does no denial mean that he is actually on his way to The Lane in January?

The Wolves forums that picked up on it were also not quick to shoot it down, in fact almost every comment posted believed that Hennessey would leave Wanderers and that £6million was about right for the keeper. They also picked up on what my friend had said to me. That McCarthy is a stubborn bugger and that he would have no qualms about leaving an unhappy player on the bench until he can sell him. After all he held his ground with Roy Keane many moons ago and strikes me as the type of guy, who once his mind is made up it wont be changed.

Well a few days have passed now and still no news if this is true or not, but the longer the silence continues the more l think Hennessey will be joining Spurs. So what do you think is the young keeper on his way? Is Hennessey coming as No1 or to provide healthy competition for Heurelho Gomes? Most importantly is he good enough for Tottenham?

My friend says he is an excellent keeper, with real potential, but like former Spurs keeper Paul Robinson tends to be stuck to his line on crosses, which was also the consensus from the Wolves fans. So perhaps Redknapp is getting him in so he can nick his sticky boots and make Gomes wear them.

The Jake Briggs column at TheProudCockerel.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment