Wednesday 10 December 2008

Keane: "Some Players Would Be Crying, But I'm Too Strong For That"

*

Liverpool’s summer signing from Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur Robbie Keane, has claimed that he “will score a lot of goals” for the Reds, despite recent reports linking the Republic of Ireland International with a return to Spurs in January.

28-year-old Keane arrived at Anfield from White Hart Lane in a deal worth £20million, but has been misfiring since joining the Merseyside club, with the former Inter Milan player only managing to find the net twice in 15 Premiership matches for Rafa Benitez’s side so far this season.

Keane was an unused substitute for the 3-1 win against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, which fuelled speculation that the Irishman was due foe a short stay on Merseyside, with Tottenham linked with a January move to bring Keane back to North London.

This led to Benitez, having to tell Keane that he would not be sold in January and that the striker had a future at Anfield, but just needed more time to settle in. Keane, who was restored to the starting line-up for the 3-1 win over PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League on Tuesday has also claimed that he wishes to remain at Liverpool and has vowed to repay Benitez’s faith in him by scoring lots of goals for the Reds.

Keane said of his performance against the Eredivisie Champions: “I am happy with my own performance, I was delighted to play in a position that I like, just off the striker.

“It meant that I was always involved, and I got an assist with the third goal. Yes, I like scoring, but I always like helping others get their goals too.

“My confidence has not been affected by things that have been said about me, things like that never get me down.

“I am confident that I will score a lot of goals for this club, I am not worried about the way things have gone, there is a lot more to come from me.

“Some players would let their heads go down and they would be crying, but I am too strong for that.

“I have only been here a few months, and it takes time to settle, so it is too early to judge me now.

“I am always confident in own ability, I have scored a lot of goals in the past, and that ability doesn't go away just like that.

“But I accept that at club like Liverpool, as a striker you are judged on the goals you score. I love scoring goals, but I also love being involved.

“I am just as pleased with assists so I will carry on doing that and it will be fine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment