Saturday 13 December 2008

Owen To Get Take It Or Leave It Deal At Newcastle

*

Newcastle United boss Joe Kinnaer is set to offer England International striker Michael Owen a take it or leave it deal after the Magpies Premier League clash with Portsmouth at Fratton Park on Sunday.

28-year-old Newcastle captain Owen’s current deal with the Toon runs out at the end of the season and talks about extending the former Liverpool and Real Madrid players stay at St James’ Park have been put on hold until now.

Owen is one of four Newcastle players out of contract at the North East club next year, with Shola Ameobi, Steve Harper and Nicky Butt also coming to the end of their present deals at the Premiership club.

Manchester United along with Chelsea and Liverpool have been linked with a move for Owen next month in recent weeks, but Kinnear has revealed that he wants all four to stay at Newcastle, with captain Owen his biggest concern following the speculation surrounding his future at the Magpies.

Kinnear said: “I would like to get all players out of contract at the moment signed up this week.

“I have spent the last three or four days discussing offers on the table with the four players I want to stay and once I get those out of way I will look at the transfer market and I am then pretty confident I will have two new faces.

“The squad would be stronger with players back from injury but I need reinforcements that is for sure.

“I will put the ball in the players' court and offers will be made and then it is up to them to let me know if they will accept them.”

However, while Kinnear has declared that it will be up to Owen and the others if they accept new deals, Kinnear also insisted that Newcastle, will not be selling any of their best players, with Newcastle battling relegation from the Premier League.

“We won't be selling anybody here until we are out of the position we are in. We are fighting relegation with 10 others and I don't see the point in getting rid of our best players,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment